Aboriginal Law Report
By Bruce McIvor
In the News
UNDRIP and Indigenous Peoples’ constitutional rights were on the leaders’ debate agenda.
- Federal leaders' debate Indigenous rights, divided on UNDRIP - APTN News
- Scheer Grilled For ‘Hold Hostage’ Comment About Indigenous Rights - Huffington Post
- Trudeau calls election, neglects to mention Indigenous peoples in campaign speech - APTN News
The federal government released its Arctic and Northern Policy Framework.
- With little fanfare, Canada quietly launches new Arctic policy document | Nunatsiaq News
- New federal Arctic policy focuses on human health, environment, infrastructure - National Observer
- Ottawa's new Arctic policy has lofty goals, but few details on how to reach them, critics say | CBC News
The Trans Mountain pipeline legal battle continues.
- Hunger strike ends but opposition to Trans Mountain pipeline remains intact - APTN News
- Federal Court of Appeal provides clarity on leave motions in Trans Mountain ruling - The Lawyer's Daily
- Trans Mountain pipeline expansion faces hurdles as landowners dig in heels - Global News
The Assembly of First Nations announced its 2019 election priorities.
- Honouring Promises: 2019 Federal Election Priorities for First Nations and Canada
- Assembly Of First Nations Says Climate Change Is Top Election Priority - Huffington Post
- AFN national chief applauds ‘unprecedented’ access to Liberal government, but won’t endorse any party | National Post
Moose returned to the headlines in Quebec.
Garden River First Nation reached a settlement over a historical land surveying error.
The federal government apologized to Métis veterans in Regina.
The Alberta government is challenging the Impact Assessment Act.
Salmon numbers remain a hot topic on the west coast.
- Salmon decline creating challenge for First Nations and ceremonies - APTN News
- Labour and First Nations groups call for federal disaster relief for West Coast salmon fishery - Globe and Mail
- Salmon swimming past B.C. landslide on their own - but is it enough? - APTN News
Also in BC, Tsilhqot'in wildlife legislation is now in force.
First Peoples Law in the News
I weighed in on the new rights policy for BC treaty negotiations at the Lawyer’s Daily. View the article here.
Off the Press
Here’s a good piece by Senator Murray Sinclair on the policing of Indigenous sovereignty.
Quote of the Week
"Everything that happens to the land, we're also doing to ourselves."
Tina Notty, Algonquins of Barriere Lake
Off the Bookshelf
Now I am ready to lay my self down
on the earth, to listen to the instructions
for how to talk of love & land, to sing
of home in the horrible years, & to fill
my language, like the stars do,
with the light, anyway, of a future tense.
Aracelis Girmay, The Black Maria (2016)
Download our new eBook for free
Our new book, Canadian Aboriginal Law in 2018: Essays and Case Summaries, is now available as a free download through our website.
Bruce McIvor, lawyer and historian, is principal of First Peoples Law Corporation. Download Bruce's bio.
For more First Peoples Law comments see our publications page.
Sign up for notification of our blog posts.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on LinkedIn
This week's Aboriginal Law Report was produced with the assistance of Cody O'Neil.